News HeadlinesNews Headlines
- 25.09.2013BBC with Vital at Tresham Coll
- 24.09.2013Recognition at prestigious awa
- 24.09.2013Apprentice nominated for natio
- 27.08.2013National Apprenticeship Awards
- 04.07.2013Vince Cable MP Opens Vital Tra
- 16.04.2013Vital Rail wins contracts with
- 16.04.2013Vital and Electren partnership
- 16.04.2013New COO for Vital Rail
- 08.03.2013Rail apprentice recognised for
- 21.02.2013SIA Approved Contractor
- 09.01.2013Two cable theft arrests in Ken
- 14.11.2012Kidderminster Rail Academy
- 31.10.2012Vital Rail Security Secure Not
- 24.10.2012Rail Staff Awards 2012
- 24.09.2012Network Rail’s Framework Agr
- 14.08.2012Vital support for local Ice Ho
- 03.08.2012200 Jobs
- 22.06.2012Three Month Pilot – Cable Th
- 14.06.2012First female apprentice
- 06.06.2012Vital attend Forth Bridge cere
- 01.06.2012Vital joins the Prince’s Tru
- 03.05.2012Vital Rail excels on Forth Bri
- 05.04.2012One City, One Location - Vital
- 05.04.2012Vital Rail extends York operat
- 05.04.2012Vital Sponsorship reaches new
- 21.02.2012Highly Commended at Rail Busin
- 20.02.2012Set to hit the hundreds
- 20.02.2012Drive to aid heritage railways
- 19.01.2012Vital Rail Security helps tack
- 13.12.2011Vital Rail sponsor Kris Kinnea
- 30.11.2011Paul Kelton receives an award
- 02.11.2011On The Rail: Salford's new app
- 10.10.2011Vital Rail Security Contract W
- 10.10.2011Apprentice plan in line to hit
- 13.09.2011Vital opens new office in Aust
- 28.02.2011Vital keeps up the heat
- 22.02.2011Vital Rail Security – Cholse
- 20.10.2010Gatwick Airport station to hav
- 20.10.2010Re-opening of Portishead to Br
- 20.10.2010High-speed rail link for Londo
- 12.10.2010Major Security Win for Vital R
- 14.09.2010Vital Services Group Annual Sc
- 02.09.2010Key crossrail milestone passed
- 02.09.2010Network Rail Completes Track W
- 16.08.2010Cable thieves cost Network Rai
- 10.12.2009Vital Receives Safety Award -
- 01.12.2009Vital ROSPA Membership
- 01.08.2009Vital Wins £1m+ Rail Contract
- 01.07.20092nd Safety Award for Vital - L
- 31.05.2009Vital Rail Selected as Network
- 01.05.2009Vital Rail Wins Edinburgh Tram
On The Rail: Salford’s new apprentices - 02/11/2011
As part of a new series looking at apprenticeships in Salford, Salford Online, we went to Vital Skills Training – part of Vital Rail in Ordsall – to meet their new young crop of trainees.
With everyone from the Prime Minister to the head of the CBI decrying the lack of skilled workers in Britain, a good apprenticeship is something that employees and young people should be queueing up for.Lead assessor and trainer at the Ordsall Lane centre Rob Clark told us: “As a country we’ve lost the ability to maintain our own infrastructure.”Which is where these 60 new trainees come in.The apprentices were sourced through Salford City College, who set themselves the challenge of recruiting 500 new trainees in 2011.
The trainees will spend 12 weeks full time in the classroom and learning on the Vital Rail practice rail track.
Vital Rail will then take on the apprentices when the training course finishes in 12 months’ time.
It is expected that the trainees will be mentored by their teachers to gain further qualifications, but the question is: is 12 months theoretical work long enough to impart the skills these young people need?
The Chief Executive of Crossrail in London, Terry Morgan, said that his apprenticeship lasted five years, and anything less meant that apprentice providers were “kidding themselves”.
It’s a hypothesis we’ll test as we follow two young apprentices, Lewis Brown and Matt Hall through their training course at Vital Rail.
Read more and see the video at Salford Online.